Monday, August 17, 2009

[CATS: Stories by Mike] II - Seven Lives

Seven Lives

Ever wondered why in Western superstitions cats have nine lives whereas in Eastern ones they only have seven?

There is no clear answer to this question especially after reading the following letter that was sent to our workshop, by a ten year old, as an open letter about animal welfare.

Hello,

My name is Sameer. I am ten and half years old. I grew up in Al Lewebdeh area. I love animals especially cats but I am surprised how some individuals can be mean to them.

I remember one day seeing one of the older kids of our neighborhood torturing a cat. When I asked him not to do so he and his friends laughed at me.

"It is none of your business. Move over or we are going to tie up you like this mangy cat that I am holding," the bully yelled before setting fire to a bunch of napkins tied around the tail of the poor cat that was painfully meowing.

"Ok let us see you run. We are down to five lives boys. Let us see if he is going to survive this one. Ha ha," announced the bully to his gang, who were laughing.

"Yeah I can't believe he survived hanging," one of the boys exclaimed.

I could not do anything but watch in sadness as the poor cat run like lightening. It disappeared under a car to resurface again and jump over a house's fence. I did not see it for two whole days. I thought it died.

I read that cats are cautious by nature and know when a person wants to harm them instead of feeding them. Eventually the poor scruffy grey cat with the burnt tail and bruised body appeared in our neighborhood again. Unfortunately, the bully caught him again by sending a different boy to lure him with a piece of meat.

It was caught again. Only this time I was utterly surprised by the cat's attitude. The more the bully tightened his merciless grip around its neck the louder his meows became in pitch until it finally sunk its claws in the bully's arms. It then lunged with the loudest shriek you could imagine at the bully's face as if it was an empty canvas waiting to be filled out by its lines, or, scratches.

The bully, who was startled by the attack, let go and the cat hurried away under a distant car.

I was laughing so hard that the shamed bully started heading my way. In a moment he held me by the throat and his bloodied fist was about to sink in my face.

Upon hearing the commotion the grocery store owner, Amu Badee3, came out and saved me from the hands of the bully, whose face and arms were now covered with bleeding scratches.

"It serves you right. The cat's grip on life this time was stronger than yours on its neck you idiot. I am calling your mother today to tell her about your shameful acts," Amu Badee3, yelling at the bully, said.

Too bad the bully did not have a tail for he would have dragged it between his legs like a beaten up dog.

Amu Badee3 later told me that cats cherish life more than anything in the world. I believe he is right.

Imagine how the life of a cat with one life left would be: Pretty risky. It had to have another one just in case it crossed the street at the wrong time.

Thank you,

Sameer Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment